Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: There He Goes...

Monday, August 06, 2007

There He Goes...

Today was Erik's first day of real-life daycare. Brian took him on his way to work and brought him home, so I was free to relax, drink coffee, and watch soaps. NOT! I took this opportunity and ran with it. I worked out, showered, and hit the house with vigorous scrubbing and straightening. The place is gleaming! I was free to leave cleansers on the very edges of counters and toilet bowls open without fear of Erik sampling handfuls of Ajax or administering self-inflicted swirlies in the commodes. I accomplished much without setting foot out of the house today at all. My afternoon, of course, was consumed by work, and I transcribed upstairs while enjoying a warm summer cross breeze through my office until the boys arrived home for dinner. When they arrived, Erik placed Stinky Puppy, his favorite decomposing stuffed animal that never dries out, in his toy Jeep Wrangler and gave him a ride without any prompting. I consider this pretty good for a child who is only beginning to understand the concept of pretend play. Brian and I were pleased. I sipped a glass of red wine, watched the news, and cooked skillet lasagna for dinner. I boiled a tiny pot of mini-elbow macaroni with some leftover spaghetti sauce, but Erik turned his nose up at it all and ate homemade bread instead. I was less than satisfied with this but was so happy to see his sweet face that I let it go. He talked about the children he met at daycare, mentioning each of them by name. He also apparently decided not to fill his diaper all day until he returned home and did so with great panache, confirming my suspicion he has a serious case of shy bowel. However, our child seemed happy, and Brian reported he talked about me on the way home. I believe that being around other children seems to have already stimulated him, and I have hope this will work wonders on his body and mind.

Not to mention my bathroom grout!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

Wow- I am excited it went well! It's always a little nerve wrecking when they walk out to go to "school". Being around the other kids will most definitely help and I can't wait to hear about what a big boy he is becoming.

Just so you know - eating only homemade bread just proves to me how Erik and I are linked in so many ways. That would definitely be my ideal dinner :) Too bad I have to be responsible and eat like an adult. You go, Erik! :) LOL

9:26 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Not to mention your body and your mind!

What a great report! You've got to be so happy, so proud of him. Hope you know that we are too!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

How wonderful! You must be so proud of Eric :) and pretend playing like that is really good!!
He will eat. oneday...
i must say that WS is a great advantage when it comes to leaving the wee ones at daycare!
They just say "bye mum!" and wonder off.
Lachie has a great deal of problems with seperation and Liam did as a little fella, Lorelai cries with great gusto each morning when her mum leaves for work and she's 4 now. Jaiden just waves "bye mum" and thats it.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I hope that you see some of the progress we have seen with Abi being around peers. She really seems to pick things up quickly. Erik will love all the attention from the other kids..I know Abi does.
I have to smile about the cleaning commments. It takes the kids being gone for me to get any good cleaning done too. Abi loves to "help" me but it usually causes more work for me.

Noel

6:56 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

So, do you travel with your cleaning supplies across state lines? My house is in desperate need of a good scrub! Sounds like Erik had a great day. Daven will start his first few hours of daycare next week. I am excited and anxious and scared. I know he will love it and I am hoping he will grow from it as well.

LOVE YOU LITTLE LADY!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

LOL...Sounds like the begining of a great relationship...What a calm day. :)

9:23 PM  
Blogger camille said...

Wow Nancy, I can't imagine daycare yet, but I'm so so glad it went well for Erik...and for you...and for your bathroom! It's amazing how much you can get done in a few uninterrupted hours.
Hope you have a great day!!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That's terrific that everything went well. Although your day was full of work and cleaning- it must have felt nice when the place was gleaming---right? Now once all that's done, you have it made for the rest of the week... or do you?

Hang in there! Hope you're doing great!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

I LOVE cleaning my house when I am all alone. Somehow, cleaning my environment sweeps the clutter out of my mind.

Erik is getting to be such a big boy. Kind of bittersweet, isn't it? Hang in there. You will learn to love your daycare breaks. They are great for your mental health.

Hugs to you!

Kim

5:00 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Hooray! I'm jealous. Julia can't attend her pre-school until the potty training has completed. We're still working on it! Thankfully, she's scheduled for early October while I keep paying.

9:55 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

It sounds like it could be a winner for Eric! Let's HOPE SO! ~ jb///

5:23 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

School will be so good for Erik. Growing up way too fast! I think it was harder for me to adjust than it was for my kids. I was just so used to them being around. Now, I can't wait for September! Times have changed.:) xoxo

4:15 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Congrats on Erik's first day. I am sure it was wonderful and scary for you.

We often get snubbed at dinner as well. After making fabulous quesadillas (if I do say so myself), Clare decided a little bowl of cream cheese was all she was going to eat.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home