Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: State of the Nancy Address #1

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

State of the Nancy Address #1

Random Thought of the Day: To Billy Mays: Come on. There is NOBODY with a bathtub THAT dirty. If there is, I suspect housecleaning isn't that homeowner's biggest problem.

What can I say? It's going to be Wednesday tomorrow. There is nothing scheduled but work here at home, and I might even get to watch it snow from my office window. I was just informed by my husband that our furnace has suddenly decided not to function. Let's see. It's 23 degrees outside now, and we have no alternate source of heat. By morning I will have likely hacked apart our furniture Lizzie Borden-style with my camping ax. I will be lazily tossing fragments of coffee table on a giant bonfire in the center of our living room as I enjoy the morning news and sip my first cup of coffee.

Erik and I attended school today. I expressed my fears and nightmares in parent group about Erik attending school and was reminded that thinking of the future will only break my heart. Yeah, somehow that didn't make me feel better. Is it really going to be that bad? Apparently, it looks that way to our group moderator. She also kindly reminded me that the subject of the book I am reading (Gloria Lenhoff, the WS opera singer) is probably much less severe than Erik if she is that successful. Um. Why the hell am I here again? It sure isn't for the coffee. Sometimes I miss the days when I just sprinted out of the building.

One of my favorite mothers attended group today. Her daughter is 3 years old and recently suffered a stroke with resultant cerebral palsy. The rug has been jerked from underneath her feet, and yet she smiles and brings the other mothers gifts. Her little girl adores everything about ballet, so she ordered an outrageously expensive pair of ballet slippers and signed her up for a local ballet class, fluffy, pink tutu and all. This is despite the fact the girl cannot ambulate without assistance and her limbs do not work like they should. On the first day of class, her mother was right there with her like a loving shadow. This little girl was on cloud nine. When the instructor ordered the girls to stand on their toes, her mother held her firmly up in position. When the child could not move on her own, her mother did it for her. At the end of the class, the instructor was obviously disgusted with this and asked her to let the little girl walk to the front of her class on her own. We had a good laugh over this in group. We wondered what the teacher thought she was doing the entire session. She must have concluded this woman was the world's most overbearing parent, hovering over this little girl's every move. Good grief. I admire this mother so very much because she reminds me of the video I shared here of Team Hoyt recently -- parent physically and emotionally supporting child, making all disabilities temporarily vanish. It's absolute magic. Most importantly, I learned this beautiful, sweet, quiet mother truly has testicles the size of Connecticut in order to do what she did in class that day. Color me inspired!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

Wow- what an amazing mother! I hope we can all be like her.

No offense, Nance, but your moderator sucks. There's a difference about being realistic and being pessimistic. Thanks to the joys of WS, we really don't have a clear idea at this age what our children will become. You are realistic enough to know Erik won't be a doctor... but you don't know what strengths he will have.

My thought on looking into the future is only this: if you worry too much about the future with all its uncertainties, you will miss out on what a glorious little being you have in front of you right now. That's not a WS thought - that is just a LIFE thought. I worry about what stage Brady will be in, and I am missing how adorable, cheeks and all, he is right now.

Erik is doing SO GREAT - tell the moderator that bleep bleep bleep!
(Sorry, I was edited!! )

Have a good day:)

5:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Well drink wine to stay warm...A broken Furnace in the cold weather may even require a bit of Bailys in the coffee...LOL

I know what you are doing today you are waiting for the heater guy....BRRRRRR....I'll be sending you warm thoughts.

Love YA

6:47 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

How is it that the heater never goes out until it has hit the coldest day of the winter? And same for air conditioning...works great until the 109 heat has maxed out for the summer. Murphy's Law I suppose.

I so wish I could be there to attend your class with you. To be inspired by other mothers such as this...you said it perfectly...its magic!

LOVE YOU!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh my God, this is too weird, but my furnace is acting haywire today as well. My husband is unfortunately out of town this week so I am trying to take care of it on my own (I was going to delete that because it makes me sound so wimpy, but it's true!!). Since the furnace guy isn't coming until tomoroww maybe we can send each other very warm thoughts.

I seriously detest your moderator as well. Kerry's right, she sucks!
Keep that cutie-pie Erik warm tonight, I might be inviting the dog in the bed with me tonight to help keep me and the kids warm! Yikes, we may not be getting a lot of sleep tonight.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Don't ever listen to someone forecast the future for your son. It seems insanely ridiculous to me that she would get your tail in a puff (you know, like a cat(: over things that haven't even happened yet. Just stupid, and who is to say that Erik's school experience is going to be difficult, that is just craziness to imply you are going to have to "fight" for him - pessimism indeed!!

5:44 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Please say you got the furnace fixed. We're keeping the heat set at about 58 and using a space heater in the family room when it gets real chilly. My electric bill averages $350 a month, so I'm working hard to keep it as low as possible.

Girl, you inspire me. I guess it's the trickle down effect. I think your testicles are pretty dang big, as well.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Ugh on the moderator. Don't you just love "helpful" people? Yeah, me, too.

Today was our diagnosis "anniversary," granted, a very different type of diagnosis from what you've gone through. Hang in there, puddy-tat.

Obladi-oblada, life goes on ...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

I can't believe that woman said that to you! So much for support! Our kids can do so much, even if we need to help them 100% of the way. (Just like that mother showed.)

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home