Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Intermission

Monday, January 08, 2007

Intermission

It's time for an experiment.

Writing seems to be like heroin to me, and I may end up twitching in a sobbing, sweaty ball on the floor without it, but it is time for me to take a week off. D (diagnosis) day approaches in March, the day I get my one-year chip, and I find myself strangely more tense and more depressed. My head aches from my rampant bruxism, my muscles ache from dreaming, and I am out of sorts. It's time to step away for a bit. It's time to read a trashy novel with no value whatsoever. It's time to immerse myself in a Meredith Baxter-Birney movie on the Lifetime channel. It's time to eat too many cookies. It's time to laugh until I cry with friends. It's time to have a glass of hot wine on the porch.

I will see you on or after Monday, January 15, 2007, with a full status report.

Paths
by Dorothy Parker

I shall tread, another year
Ways I walked with Grief,
Past the dry, ungarnered ear
And the brittle leaf.

I shall stand, a year apart,
Wondering, and shy,
Thinking, "Here she broke her heart;
Here she pled to die."

I shall hear the pheasants call,
And the raucous geese;
Down these ways, another Fall,
I shall walk with Peace.

But the pretty path I trod
Hand-in-hand with love--
Underfoot, the nascent sod,
Brave young boughs above,

And the stripes of ribbon grass
By the curling way--
I shall never dare to pass
To my dying day.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I can feel my skin crawl, teeth gnash, the DTs are coming, withdrawing from you blog starts now - see you in a week. Call if you can't make it, I'll be your sponsor.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Have a great week, Nancy. I will miss you!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

**brow furrowed** Well... I think I will need a little help myself!! Have a good week!
Love -K

5:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I get my one yr Chip in March too....I'll email ya to tell about Louisville

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ready for that laugh till ya cry with a friend anytime you are. Or shall I say "snort some sort of beverage out my nose" until I cry!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Oh I will terribly miss you! It seems as though everyone has been taking a break. Maybe it is time I take a breather as well. Please hurry back, or I might start twitching and end up in a sweaty ball without you.

Enjoy your time away...

7:19 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Chip?

8:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Everybody --

I miss you guys.

Kathi --

Figuratively, of course. Although if I find a nice gemstone-type deal to mark our one-year mark, I'll take that instead.

:) Nance

9:18 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Thanks for your kind visit while I was gone!
I am back home now, and my sister is doing better!
See you soon!

Margie

12:23 PM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

OK OK... JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU BY CHANCE BLOGGED BEFORE MONDAY! DO YOU BY CHANCE THINK AMY WOULD BE MY SPONSOR? :)

LOVE YOU GIRL AND I TRULY HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT WEEK!!!

DAWNITA

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home