Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Status Report #1

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Status Report #1

Random Thought(s) of the Day: What is a "cotlet" exactly? If you don't like them, can you buy just the "aplets?" What if you are allergic to walnuts? Is Santa allergic to walnuts?

I just logged on to report that we have not cracked a single jar of freaking Gerber baby food for five whole days now. It's a new record! When we are done with them entirely, you can expect me to line up the cute little leftover jars on a log, grab the nearest .22 rifle, and do some serious Van Damage target practicing. Nothing would make me happier than watching a line of genetically perfect, chubby Gerber baby faces explode into a cloud of sparkling shards of glass and globs of turkey dinner. I will document the event accordingly using photos and my descriptive writing skills. I have been dreaming of that day for over a year now. Death to green beans and rice number threes! If I never see the pasty, orange insides of another jar of Gerber "lasagna," I'll die a happy woman.

Cute Erik Story: When Erik was an infant, I used to lie on the floor and hoist him into the air, practically screaming "SUPERBABY!" He has now begun to lie on me, smile, and request "Soup-Babe." When I (barely) succeed in lifting him into the air, his feet hang down and touch my stomach. I can't believe how tall the kid is getting. My arms have never been so toned!

I ordered the new book on the Lenhoff Family's experience with Williams syndrome called The {Strangest} Song: One Father's Quest to Help His Daughter Find Her Voice. I'll do a review when I'm through, but I have a mountain of books to read, so please don't hold your breath. If any of you want to join me and talk about it, let me know and I'll read it with you. When I did a search on Amazon for books on WS, I come up with almost nothing, save for a handful of outdated medical references and inadequate resource lists for parents. Half of these items were no longer available. Over the past few days, I have found myself thinking of writing a book myself. Since our family has just begun our story, it will take years to write, but something tells me it needs to be written. The seed has been planted.

I hear Erik sobbing downstairs. Why? Brian was pressing each key of Erik's new keyboard, singing along to each note accordingly and ignoring the limits of singing abilities, oxygen requirements, and human endurance. When he reached the higher octaves, he was required to adopt a roughly cracking falsetto that likely shattered the contents of my china cabinet. When he hit a note that only dogs could hear, Erik's hyperacusis kicked in and he began to scream. Brian is now calming Erik, promising him he will never "sing" again. I'm trying so hard not to giggle. Is that wrong?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A book, yes. We're all waiting for it.
My upper body strength depends on "So rocka yum-phua..." when Erik feigns sleep on my shoulder, then, "sista boom, sista boom, sista boom, when I lift him way over my gray head. But now his feet hit my sagging chest. Maybe when I can no longer lift him I'll find out what the REAL Swedish words are, and how to spell them! It's fun that he's developed his own idea as to exactly how this all should be done. I love that guy!

Love, Mom

8:48 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I'll be the first one to say: "Uh, DUH you should write a book!" Can I get one of the first 10 autographed copies?????

Also, thanks for the card and pic!! Erik is staring at me now on my fridge, he's so dang adorable!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'll read the book with ya...gonna go check it out next :)I think writting a book is a great idea...someone needs to

1:26 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I used to do the same "Superbaby" lift with my kids...well I actually still do it with my one year old, and sometimes my four year old. Talk about hard to do!!

You do have an amazing writing ability, that I think you could put to good use. I think you should consider writing a book about your journey with Erik, especially if there is such a need for it. That's my opinion anyway!!! :)

7:29 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Wow, they do gros so fast. I'm wondering, since my arms need toning some, if I could get my kids (at 6'2") to play, LOL!!

Best of luck at keeping Brian to that promise, lol!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I received that same book for Christmas. WARNING: I made the mistake of bringing it to the gym with me to read while stair stepping....do not attempt this.
I did get a little teary eyed during quite a few pages and my attempts at trying to hide this fact from the other gym go-ers was futile!
I'm only on chapter three but I will let you know what I think of it:)
Have a great day and Happy New Year!
susan
srohde@eidebailly.com

10:12 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

If you write it, they will read...

5:42 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Write it! I want the very first copy! Your writing gets me through the day. I am still laughing at the "Subaru" post! Seriously, you have a gift, Nancy.

As for "SUPERBABY", I played a version of that with Ava's daddy-twenty and one half years ago-called "DIAPER MAN!". It was only when his reflux kicked in and he vomited IN MY MOUTH that I gave that game up forever. I swear I will never try it again!!!!

Have a great New Year!!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home