Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Shoe Salesgirl

Friday, October 27, 2006

Shoe Salesgirl

Finding shoes that fit over Erik's orthotics seems to be about as easy as finding the Holy Grail. I was given this warning by the orthotist before I began this endeavor. A big thank you to Ms. T in parent group (the woman formerly known as "Rickets Girl") for e-mailing me information on special footwear. Surprisingly, there aren't many companies who offer these kinds of shoes. I ordered a pair of the Hatchback Elites in white for Erik today. They cost as much as a small SUV, and there is one model with the thrill-a-minute choice between blue or white. However, I am tired of the cheap shoes I bought that don't fasten and hang open, as the Velcro strips attract every fiber of cat fur, nose hair, dryer lint, and God knows what else. His shoes looked acceptable at first but now look like pieces of tape that have been hastily affixed to and subsequently ripped off a hirsute Wookie. With jeans on, his braces are barely visible, and in my quest for a feeling of NORMALCY, I would love to have a pair of shoes on my son that actually fasten and look like shoes, not flattened, dirty Styrofoam coffee cups on the floor at a church potluck. Is that so much to ask? I will have the answer to this and many other intriguing questions in a mere 7 to 10 working days. I will give you an honest review upon receiving them. Here's the website for those of you who need this kind of thing (apparently, there are only three of us on the entire continent). What is great about these shoes is that they open in the back. It's absolutely genius!

http://www.hatchbacksfootwear.com/index.htm

7 Comments:

Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

HEY... I CHECKED OUT THE HATCHBACK WEBSITE... I THINK THE SHOES ROCK AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT YOUR COMMENT OF "IT'S ABSOLUTELY GENIUS" THE OPENING IS IN THE BACK! I AM WAITING ANXIOUSLY TO HEAR IF THEY WORK FOR ERIK!!

SEE... I LIKE THE BLUE ONES AND YOU PICKED THE WHITE AND THEN I NOTICED A BOX FOR PEOPLE TO SHARE THEIR IDEAS FOR A NEW STYLE FOR BOYS. YOU COULD BE THE NEXT DESIGNER FOR HATCHBACKS!!! :)

LOVE YOU!!!!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think he needs the racer, dura patch,and hopscotch... That should cover all occsions. The racer is a must have :)Look at me, it does not matter boy or girl, I shop for them all

4:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think he needs the racer, dura patch,and hopscotch... That should cover all occsions. The racer is a must have :)Look at me, it does not matter boy or girl, I shop for them all

4:58 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

I checked the site and I have to say, these shoes are wonderful!!! I have to laugh, their prices are 50% lower than a normal child-shoe in Hungary :DDDD I wish they could post these shoes here, too!!!

Love, Kati

5:22 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

These are cool - I picked the blue too, only because you'll probably have to buy the Magic Eraser to keep the white ones white :)

Isn't it nice when everything comes together? I hope they work out.

Love - K

5:25 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

These are cool - I picked the blue too, only because you'll probably have to buy the Magic Eraser to keep the white ones white :)

Isn't it nice when everything comes together? I hope they work out.

Love - K

5:25 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

You are right, those shoes are simply brilliant! I am hoping that I won't need these shoes for Daven, but our brace odds aren't all that good. Therefor, I will be keeping this link in my favorites box. Sigh. Can't wait to see how they fit.

Have a Super Duper weekend!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home