Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Well-Child Check

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Well-Child Check

Erik had his 2-year well-child check today. We both came down with a cold yesterday but seem to be on the mend already. In fact, both of us felt so crummy we skipped group therapy at the last minute yesterday and went instead to the grocery store to purchase cold medicine and Kleenex. Even when he is sick, which isn't often, Erik is still a happy boy.

Erik is doing well with his orthotics in the house and when he is playing, but when I attempt to get him to walk by my side across a waiting room or parking lot, his toes instantly migrate inward, especially the left side, and he walks pigeon-toed. I will to address this with the physical therapist. Maybe she can take him on a drag around the block at school.

Today at the pediatric office, Erik greeted the receptionist by saying "hi" like an adorable but persistent broken record and did the same with every person, real or imagined, after that once we were ushered into the exam room. The appointment went well, although I still detest the routine, age-appropriate list of questions the nurse asks each time about Erik's abilities. Since we are playing a completely different ball game than other kids, this can be a horribly depressing experience and has even given me the blues for a few days afterwards. I am noticing, though, that the list is less and less depressing as Erik ages. In the old days, I answered "no" to 95 or even 100 percent of the questions they asked about what he was able to do and had a good cry in the parking lot. Today I found myself reminded I have a 2-year-old who cannot stack more than two blocks on top of each other (and even that is a stretch), but that was the only answer to a question that stuck with me this time. Once the doctor came in to see us, I asked how often we should be drawing a serum calcium level, and the doctor admitted she needed to look up the protocol for routine tests in WS children. I got the feeling she was not aware of the calcium issue at all or perhaps thought we needed to make sure he had enough calcium, as she mentioned supplementation, which, of course, is the opposite problem that constantly threatens a young WS child. Her response was a bit unsettling, but I appreciated her honesty. There are only two known people in this entire town who have WS, including Erik, and she has never had a patient with WS. I will continue to educate myself and light fires under Erik's providers as his advocate.

Erik's weight is less than I had hoped but still quite respectable at 24 pounds, 12 ounces (10th percentile). He is 34.5 inches tall (50th percentile). He is a tall, lean drink of water. Dr. G. commented on how much better Erik looks in general from six months ago. He received his MMR/chicken pox immunization and resultant Spongebob boo-boo strip without too much trouble, and I took him to Gramma and Boppa's for a well-deserved nap before I went to work.

I am dying to upload photos of Erik's party, but Blogger appears to be on crack this week. In addition, we are in a pocket of Amishness, which means we can't get a pizza delivered from most places or high-speed internet. It's amazing we have electricity or toilet paper (2-ply!). That means in the time it takes to upload one photo of my precious morsel, I can wash the car, do five loads of laundry, thoroughly pick my nose (both sides), bake a pie, and write 12 dirty limericks while I wait. I will keep trying, because we got some really cute ones.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

24 pounds!! I am so jealous!! We would love 24 pounds at our house. Jaxson just had an appt last week for another ear infection and he was 20 pounds with all his clothes on. Erik is making leaps and bounds in his development and that is awesome. Our pediatrician has also never seen a WS child so I am always bringing in stuff from the internet for him to read. If he wasn't a family friend he would probably disown us as patients:)
Have a great day!
susan

5:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

SMILE SMILE SMILE...I had that the entire blog !!!! First of all I hate the dumb nurse questions too. I love the after appointment nap. I also love it when my kids want to skip appointments, thats the best :)

About the Calicum I am on the every 2 month thing right now... And about the Photos maybe if you go to a ritz and down load them to a CD there it would be faster :) I am dying for the birthday pics.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Our pedi doesn't have WS patients, but another pedi in the practice had some at her old practice, so that is a help. I hate to be the one to know more than the docs! I too am jealous of the weight - we go for Brady's 1 yr next week and I am crossing my fingers for 14-15 lbs!!

It must be so cute for him to say hi to everyone... :) I can't wait to see the pics either.

Love -K

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, at 3 a.m. last night as I lay listening to my sinuses drain (We are indeed a close family.. glad you're beter. That bodes well for us!), I thought that we should play with blocks and stackers more. So many things he's not been interested in, and then one day is suddenly proficient.
What a birthday! What a guy! What a mom!

Love, Mom

8:35 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love our pedi cause while he hasn't seen WS he has pretty much seen it all! But I bug him all the time nonetheless, and he let's me know if what I am bugging about is buggable.
Erik is so cool saying hi to everyone. I would love that!!!!!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What a big boy!! 24lbs is wonderful. What a sweetheart to greet everyone like that. Can't wait to see B-day pics... Nicole

12:17 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Those darn well baby check ups. I hate them too. I swear every time the doctor comes in right off the bat he says..."Well, we must be crawling and talking by now eh?" I always glare at him with a resounding NO! He hasn't had any other WS children before either. He has however, diagnosed an infant since seeing Daven. That is exactly what I had hoped for. I think as mothers, we will always know more about WS than most of our pedis.

LOVE YOU GIRL!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm with lisa r....Big Smile.

What a wonderful post.

Thank you for that.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home