Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: I Don't Heart Mondays

Monday, September 25, 2006

I Don't Heart Mondays


I can't believe the weekend is in the history books already. I never left the house once, although I managed to get outside in the yard and enjoy the warm sunshine. Brian went with friends to watch Oregon State play Saturday. They tailgated and cooked manly slabs of meat and crab on our barbecue. I was out of energy and just hung out with Erik during the day. We played with his thrilling collection of rocks and got on the swing (well, one of us, anyway). Erik yelled, "Wheeeeeee!" when he started to swing into the air. In the evening, I baked my mother a caramel apple cheesecake and marinated pork tenderloin for her birthday feast Sunday, and Erik worked beside me in the kitchen, emptying the cabinets of all of their contents and rolling Tupperware around on the floor. I began watching the game on television, but it was a blowout, and I decided on my cop shows instead. Brian got back around 1:00 a.m., and we all slept pretty well.

Yesterday I watched Celebrity Fit Club (How can you NOT want to watch Isaac the bartender from Love Boat lose weight?) and got things ready for my folks to come over for dinner. Erik and Brian went outside. Despite wearing completely inappropriate attire, Erik decided to run through the sprinkler. I watched them through the kitchen window. He would run up to the sprinkler, put his face in the spokes of water shooting up into the air, and make one of his funny faces. I saw Brian trying to lead our saturated little boy out of the yard at least three times. Each time, Erik's face would quickly turn tomato red, and his eyes would squeeze shut in one of his famous quiet ugly cries. His eyes close so hard when he cries that he looks like Dizzy Gillespie to me. Brian looked a little annoyed, and I was having fits laughing from the safety of the house. Erik sure does love that sprinkler.

My parents spent some time at hospice this weekend with their friend dying of cancer and were ready to come over, relax, and have some fun. We were all glad to see them, especially Erik. It was indeed a lot of fun but I hated to see Sunday coming to a close. It's not fair! Today I have an appointment at the dentist to pick up my new night splint (I grind my teeth and clench my jaw in my sleep). I have to leave the house three times in four hours this afternoon and am not entirely sure how I will manage to accomplish any work today. I foresee working this evening after Brian returns from attending a yawn-inducing city meeting. That means no book club or fun for me. Sigh. Is it Friday yet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

No Fun Sucks!!! Sometimes I think it comes with the first three years of kids, well that is a little harsh but you know what i mean :) Sorry about the lack of book club. I really did not make it out much either except to go to work on sunday and Take Emma to ballet on Sat. Mommy's taxi I can not believe it is already starting....WE are not big Monday fans in our house either...Hope it all workes out today.
Love You, Hang in there 4 more days left haha

7:02 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Gee... wonder why you would grind your teeth? Any stress in YOUR life? :) haha

We raced around Sat., but chilled out a bit Sunday, although I did work Sunday night until 3:30 in the AM - thought I should email you since you always seem to be up then!:) Wait- I think YOUR 3 AM is MY 6AM - umm... was sleeping then :)
Love you - have a good week! -K

6:29 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh, it is only Tuesday yet.... this will be a very long week :(((
I know this kind of crying well, I'm always laughing when his dad couldn't do anything with Szabi...eyes closed, big tears, red face, mouth closed, too :DDD ha-ha
I read your previous message just now and I have to say, you always move me and I honor you to be such brave and exemplary! Love you, Nancy! I am very proud that I know you!
Kati

4:19 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

GOOD MORNING NANCE!

HOPE YOU SURVIVED YOUR CRAZY MONDAY!

WOW...NIGHT SPLINT HUH? THEY DO WORK AND ARE KINDA SEXY. HA! :) BRAD HATED IT WHEN I FIRST WORE ONE BECAUSE I COULDN'T KEEP IT IN MY MOUTH THE WHOLE NIGHT AND SO HE WOULD FIND MY NIGHT GUARD ON HIS PILLOW OR WOULD AT TIMES BE LYING ON IT! HEEHEEHEE

HAPPY TUESDAY AND GIVE THAT SWEET BOY A BIG HUG!!!!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home