Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Thankful

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thankful

Erik and I have had two really good days together. We pressed our foreheads together and laughed at our own private jokes. We ate those junky fruit snacks from Costco together in the car and made rude yummy noises. I even slid down the stairs on my bum this morning when he asked me to (Note to self: Never do that again without rigging up some sort of an ass padding system).

I am flying high once again.

I am incredibly thankful for my son. I am also thankful for the girl who found me somehow on line and needed some words of encouragement that I was equipped to provide because of my experiences. I am thankful for the wonderful weather today that allowed Erik to ride his therapy horse outside. I am thankful for the unexpected warmth that washed over me when I told his grandparents of his latest accomplishments. I realized once again how incredibly proud of this son of mine I am. It is an honor to be his mother.

Giving myself permission to express my feelings here, no matter what they may be, has made me more aware of what is right in my life and let me let go of the bad. I hope that my doing this gives others encouragment to do the same. I know that it is sometimes hard to read. This is a total roller coaster, ain't it? I savor every bittersweet moment--tears, snorting laughter, heartache, woo hoo moments, and all.

Erik just ran into my office. He's half awake with his hair in a giant sleep-swirlie and talking nonsense. He made it up the stairs in this semiconscious condition and let me sweep him up in my lap, after which he said, "We're gonna have a BIG CHRISTMAS" and started singing "Oh Christmas Tree." He smells a little like cookies.

I can count my blessings today.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Thank God for the good days, they make the rough ones more bearable.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I have you for a sister-n-law and for Erik, my favorite four year old nephew!

What a wonderful post!

BIG Hugs,
Dawnita~

Thanks for calling, it is always a treat to be able to chat with you!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sure is one heck of a roller coaster. I am glad that you and Erik has such a good day and that you are flying high! Hope your bum is feeling better Nancy.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for making me teary eyed. and helping me refocus.

with love and gratitiude for your post
Michelle

4:54 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Goosebumps. Seeing that he said "we're going to have a BIG CHRISTMAS!" made me smile :) I love it! I'm so happy you have had a good couple of days. I love those times. The hard, tough days can bring us down fast. Keep the good days coming!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Fryewerk said...

Su and I got our plane tickets yesterday, so we will be part of the BIG CHRISTMAS!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

I am so glad that you get to have these thankful days. Yo utruly deserve them

5:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's moments like these that keep us going.
He's just so sweet.
xoxo

2:55 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

I've been reading you for so long. The other day I was going back through some of my old posts and was reading your comments and noticed your pic of holding Erik when he was just so little. Y'all have gone through so much and came so far.
Loved the story of sliding down the stairs, bump...bump...bump. Too funny.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Count and keep counting! ;)

I appreciate your honesty whatever the mood or situation. Keep it real Nancy!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, You are the Erma Bombeck of special needs moms. I hope to see you turn this blog into a book one day--I will be the first in line to buy a copy!
Heidi

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home