Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Wisdom

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Wisdom

Erik's friend Sophie (also with WS) was the subject of a post on a local blog yesterday. After reading this wonderful description of how she appears to someone outside the strange world of WS, I thought it was important to share. Yeah, it's tough being mired in all of this special needs stuff on a daily basis, but this illustrates how important it is to stop and watch how the rest of the world reacts to our special children. They have a profound effect on the lives they touch.

I plan on stepping back and looking through someone else's eyes on a regular basis, especially when I am feeling sorry for myself!

You can read about Sophie here. Thanks to Sophie's mother Heather for e-mailing me the link and to Wilson Parrish for writing such a dear piece on my son's friend! I hope Erik will get to sit next to someone as kind as his son someday.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

Thank you for sharing it is nice to hear someone's perspective from outside of our little "world".

Noel

11:38 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks Nancy. I just read it. Brings tears to my eyes and warms my heart.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Very touching! I am learning how much adults and other children are drawn to our children, I hope that keeps them safe and happy in the coming years.
xoxo
Amy

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

That was so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Thanks, Nancy. I have never met anyone with WS, but I have taken in your words on your experiences. Interesting to get a perspective of someone who is on the outside.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Hey, Nancy. I'm taking a class on religious education at seminary and found this:
http://www.disability-awareness.org/ChildInclusionSurveyrev8-23-2006.pdf

(In some way, ADD may wind up helping to bring more awareness to the need for special care in Sunday School. ADD has become an issue because many parents want weekends to be "drug holidays.")

Anyway ... can you take a look at the above link and let me know how you would feel if you were given that at church? Relieved? Offended?

Thanks,
LE

10:00 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Thanks! I read it and commented.

This guy's humorous rants are hysterical.

He mentioned Erik in a recent post too!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home