Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: A Game of Tag

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Game of Tag

Stacey at All Moments Remembered tagged me, and I finally have a moment to sit down and participate. My participation can be hit and miss because of time constraints, but I enjoy being remembered this way. It also may take me a fortnight to even begin to respond to your tag. My apologies for that! This particular tag asks me to list seven random things about myself. Once again, this sounds much easier than it actually is, but here goes. Since it is still early, I'm not sure what I'll come up with. My apologies in advance.

One -- Once again, I admit to be a teensy bit of a voyeur. I enjoy taking a walk at dusk and quickly peeping into the windows of homes that line the street, attempting to determine what people are eating for dinner, what they are doing together, or what show they are watching on television. Looking at this slightly disturbing habit, I have concluded it stems from living alone for so many years. I used to jog a lot and picked this practice up on runs through the neighborhood, as I was lonely and wondered what people would see if they looked through my window later in my life. Please don't call the police if you see me walk by and wave. Invite me in for coffee.

Two -- Although I have a rich imagination and don't consider myself a Puritan in any fashion, any of my dreams of a remotely naughty nature are almost always totally and completely censored in various ways (fig leaves, cut to another scene, instantly wake up, etc.). Although I find this highly amusing, it has always been more than disappointing and frustrating. I mean, who wouldn't want to consume a chocolate sundae stark naked with CNN's Anderson Cooper? On the other hand, my dreams of violence are, unfortunately, in graphic Technicolor. I wonder what a psychiatrist would say about this. This is exactly why I stopped going to see one.

Three -- I have an obsession with puppets and marionettes of any kind.

Four -- Unfamiliar children still tend to scare the crap out of me, especially of the typical variety. I was formerly the quiet woman in the checkout line who didn't always say hello to kids like my son. I could freaking kick myself for that now. I say hello now.

Five -- I can easily consume a giant pizza or at least seven items from Taco Bell by myself (and have). I have gone to dinner with more than one fellow who liked what I ordered and was disappointed (and secretly impressed) to discover he didn't get half of my entree when I was finished eating. I also tend to eat when I'm sad. I did this off and on for years. Thank goodness for a little something called Weight Watchers. Thanks to WW, I already lost half of the HAPPY weight I gained this weekend.

Six -- My celebrity encounters include Henry Winkler, Ginger Rogers, Siegfried (of Siegfried & Roy), and Kevin Costner.

Seven -- My biggest pet peeve: We all judge people to some degree, as it is sometimes required for survival, but when a person is judged because of their differences, sometimes even beyond their control, especially by those who readily declare themselves more righteous than others, I wonder sometimes what year this actually is and if there is hope for this world at all. This really saddens me, as it tends to generate hate, causes great pain, and pushes people away, even if that wasn't the original intention. Maybe we should spend less time trying to change, alienate, or "save" people by trying to make them like us and more time loving them just as they are. There doesn't have to be agreement. Just love. It isn't always easy, but give it a shot. You might just be surprised at the outcome. Your heart and your world might open like you never imagined they could. I'm also terribly sad because I feel that this phenomenon has created hate in my own heart, diminished my own capacity for love and acceptance for those I don't agree with, and extinguished some of my trust in others.

There you have it. More of me, whether you wanted it or not.

You may consider yourself tagged if you wish. List seven random things about yourself and tag seven others. Thanks, Stace.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

These things just made me like you even more. I too am a mood eater, baked goods are my food of choice. I actually eat more than my own husband and if you saw him you would think that was funny. I have weird dreams all the time, they have been worse since my surgery. Scott woke me the other night and said I was having a bad dream. I told him "no I wasn't I was dreaming it was my birthday and I was getting ready to eat my cake, made of only icing." I went back to sleep and ended up in the same dream and he woke me again. At this point I yelled at him and said "would you at least let me get a bite of my cake before you wake me" :)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Nancy,

I actually have a tiny scar on my one eyebrow from getting them waxed. They should hand you a paper with all the warnings before you get it done.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Love is all you need... It sounds corny, but it is so true.

11:38 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

How'd you meet the celebrities? Hmmmm, you a peeking Nancy, huh? I can eat a large pizza by myself, though I try to break it up so I can have some for breakfast and lunch the next day.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Kathi -- I stood next to Mr. Winkler at a parade at Disneyland. He smiled at me and was very short. I got to touch Ginger Rogers' fluffy white coat as she walked by me at the airport over a red carpet when I was young enough to get away with that (it was very soft). I had a table next to Sigfried in Vegas at the Mirage. He was in the middle of doing some sort of interview, and the person doing the interview gave him the biggest bottle of vodka I had ever seen. Kevin Costner was in the same bar/restaurant as I was around the time he filmed The Postman a few years ago. The girls I was with made a big fuss over him, but I still am not sure what the big deal was. Guess he wasn't nerdy enough for me.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I was always a kid person, talking to them smiling at them... still am - although now I REALLY don't like annoying kids. And I mean, I give them dirty looks when their parents aren't looking... heh heh heh

7:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I enjoyed getting to know more about you!

7:57 PM  
Blogger All moments remembered said...

YEAH Nancy!!! OMG girl I have to admit too since you did, I love to look in windows while I walk by. I love when it is dusk so they have their lights on. My thing is to see how clean they keep their house if they are cooking dinner or not. LOL!!! I always thought that by having a family dinner every night together it would make sure my kids all turned out perfect. Well lets say they still go through the things kids go through with or without moms cooked dinners. BUT it is nice to be with my family and eat good food while talking away. Thanks for making me not feel so alone in my PEEKING!! LOL!!! I enjoyed learning a little more about ya!!
Hugs,
Stacey

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home