Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: National Champions!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

National Champions!



I had a long, lonely weekend, as Brian left town with three friends to camp in the wilderness. I still managed to get to my parents' for a backyard barbecue and had a couple friends over this afternoon to watch the Oregon State game and barbecue lunch. Sammy was here to spend some quality time with Erik, and he seemed more relaxed than ever around her. She played a little harder to get as well, except for the time she embraced him from behind as he stood eating his lunch and they went over backwards. Erik simply stared at the ceiling and kept right on chewing, which made me laugh. I barbecued shrimp and some chicken skewers served with spicy satay peanut sauce and a nice fruit salad. Brian's friend Ben will stay with us tonight. He is down the hall in the guest bathroom showering off the thick, protective layer of dust the desert left on him now, and Brian is downstairs packing the fish Ben caught in freezer bags and preparing a load of laundry. I have sorted and packed away their collection of leftover light beer, sausages, cookies, and chips. I made certain the Doritos and chocolates were immediately stowed away out of my sight, as last time I checked I was down 12 pounds! The boys looked homeless in their unshaven and absolutely filthy state from three days in a makeshift camp with no other humans in sight, but they were grinning from ear to ear like teenagers when they arrived. They are already talking of making this a new yearly tradition. There is nothing like having friends with a history that stretches back for decades, and I am happy to say I am lucky enough to have friends like that of my very own.

Now I must wait to hear the tales of their adventures. I am happy they didn't encounter any of rattlesnakes on this journey, but I get the impression there are even better tales to be told over our morning coffee tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger kathi said...

Y'all are so fortunate to have this kind of friendship with others! I've never had that and always have enjoyed shows like Friends and How I Met Your Mother simply for that reason, the great relationships between people with a long history together.

8:32 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

12 POUNDS??? YOU GO SKINNY SISTER!

IT WAS FUN CHATTING WITH YOU THIS WEEKEND AND I AM HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO SPEND TIME WITH YOUR PARENTS AND GOOD FRIENDS WHILE BRIAN WAS OUT PLAYING GI JOE IN THE WILDERNESS! I AM SURE HE WILL HAVE SOME GOOD STORIES TO SHARE! I TOLD BRAD WHERE BRIAN WENT AND HE REALLY WANTS TO GO THERE WITH THE BOYS ONE SUMMER SOON! HEY, PERHAPS WE COULD ALL MEET UP THERE ONE SUMMER! WOULDN'T ERIK, BRAYDEN AND BROGAN HAVE A BLAST!

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!!

BIG HUGS

10:45 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Boys and their stories. Logan just got word last week that he "drew out" to go deer and elk hunting. I am already tired of hearing his past hunting stories...and I still have 3 months before his actual hunt. Oh boy is it gonna be a long few months! Logan is a true mans man...fishing, camping, hunting, golfing, sports, I could go on and on. (Sounds like he and Brian would get along perfectly!)

Glad they had a great time! The household is always happier when the boys get to play. HA!

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home