Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Aches, Pains, Teeth, & Gains

Friday, June 08, 2007

Aches, Pains, Teeth, & Gains

Don't tell me how to live my life
Don't tell me how to pray
Don't tell me how to sing my song
Don't tell me what to say

Cuz I believe that miracles
happen every day
I don't care what you say,
I'm gonna do it my way

-- "My Way," Los Lonely Boys

I have to make this short, as my job has given me a moderate case of tendinitis, the likes of which I have not experienced since my days of shoveling pizzas in and out of an oven at my job in high school. I will purchase a brace today. I haven't had to wear one since I started transcribing 10 years ago. Hopefully, with TLC it will improve slowly. I hope so, as I have a short story in my head to write for another contest in San Francisco (Thanks, mom!).

The transition meeting went well. We chose Erik's preschool class and met the new members of Team Erik. I loved all of them immediately, of course. I sometimes feel like we do not have much support in town, but if I sit down and think about it, we have what we need. These folks are highly qualified and caring. They did the appropriate amount of oohing and ahing over Erik's photo and seemed to be curious about his syndrome, asking if there were videos, etc. One had even worked with someone with WS. I stalled a very long time chatting after the meeting because Brian left early to take Erik to the dentist, and I didn't want to witness that. The exam was reportedly very rough and made Erik cry very hard, but his teeth looked so good that no coat of lacquer was required. Glory be!

I spent an hour in the grocery store during Erik's pool therapy yesterday. As soon as I put him in the pool with Ms. G., he said, "Buh-bye, mom!" I was free to go. I bought a new oxygen-filled dish detergent and apple-scented candle for Erik's bathroom. I love my time in the grocery store. If loving Mr. Clean is wrong, I just don't wanna be right.

Lastly, Erik's language skills are sharpening. For instance, I was pouring some lemonade into a glass when he walked by this week, and he said, "Yellow water." Later he was in his chair threatening to tilt his glass over instead of drinking its contents as he enjoys doing. When I tried to take it away from him like I usually do, he glared at me and said, "Let go, please."

It was a hard week, but it was good.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

It sounds like Erik is doing great. Sorry to hear that you are not feeling as good. I will miss your indepth post while you are nursing your tendons.
Along the same lines as your story...Abi had therapy yesterday and the therapist dropped a toy and asked "Abi can you get the toy" and her reply " No...you can do it yourself!" as she smiled sweetly.
They seem to find a way to use language to their advantage!

Noel

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly a hard week...but a DONE week! You made it. Glad to hear Erik's dentist appointment went well. Another fight adverted.

Sounds like Erik's speech is remarkable. Even saying please. HA! I just love that boy more everyday.

Love you too little lady.

3:05 PM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

OH MY! YOU MUST BE MISTAKEN... ERIK WANTING TO TIP HIS GLASS OVER OR GIVING YOU A GLARE?? YOU MUST BE TRULY MISTAKEN! YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MY SWEET NEPHEW YOU KNOW! hahahahaha

I LOOOOOOOOOVE HEARING STORIES ABOUT KIDS AND THE THINGS THEY DO AND SAY! IT JUST CRACKS ME UP... IT IS KINDA LIKE A BREATH OF FRESH AIR OR SOME SORT OF HEALTHY THERAPY WHEN ONE HEARS KID STORIES!

I HOPE THAT BRIAN, ERIK AND YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND! I WISHED WE LIVED CLOSER THEN WE COULD FIRE UP THE GRILL AND LET THE BOYS PLAY!

BIG HUGS!!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

I hope Clare's transition goes as smoothly as it sounds Erik's has so far.

I hope your wrists get feeling better soon- ow!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

How nice he is saying please while giving you lip :) I can't wait to meet this kid :)

Yeah on the smooth transition... just knowing you will be taken care of wll this fall is a nice little burden off the back. Have a good weekend!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

I smell progress with Erik...big progress. He deserves a ^5!

"If loving Mr. Clean is wrong, I just don't wanna be right."

This is too funny! ;)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home