Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Blogs That Make Me Think

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blogs That Make Me Think

Goodness. I have actually been nominated for the "Blogs That Make Me Think" meme. How cool is that? This means that I must now return the favor and nominate my five favorite synapse-stimulating blogs. The blogs nearest and dearest to my heart, of course, are the ones in my own cyber neighborhood pertaining to Williams syndrome. You may access the stories of these amazing children and their families each day via the links on my sidebar. However, this nomination is a perfect opportunity to share just some of the writers I do not normally link or mention but that I enjoy reading on a daily basis. Why? These individuals allow me the refreshing luxury of thinking of something (anything) besides my son's all-consuming medical syndrome and the grieving I continue to do.

For that, I can't thank them enough.

First, I must mention Lizard Eater. Frankly, I cannot remember how I discovered her, but I no longer let a day pass without checking on her. She was smack dab in the process of becoming a Unitarian minister when her daughter was diagnosed with kidney cancer. She is the type of woman I admire and strive to emulate. An added plus is that she is as honest as I am. I can relate to her the majority of the time, although we are on much different paths. Her take on spirituality is also very thought-provoking. Oh, and she has some scrumptious recipes to share. The lady can cook.

Next, there's Deb. She's brilliant, beautiful, and spiritual. She is in the middle of her own journey grappling with her sexuality and Christianity. She is the author of A Prayer Away from Healing. Her posts are deeply personal and honest. Her thoughts create much controversy, and many times my heart breaks to read the hateful way some people speak to her. While others see someone who is different, I can only see Deb, a woman who is just trying to be herself. I deeply admire her and cheer for her daily. She has a lot to teach the world about tolerance and love. And she makes me laugh.

The next on my list is Waiter. I mostly lurk on this blog, but his writing is freaking fantastic. He is great at weaving a fascinating story about the everyday things, which is something I try to do in my own writing. I smile when I see people comment about how "sensitive" (observant) he is to the world around him. It takes a special type of sensitivity to write like he does, and without that, there would be no story. If you are curious about the world of a waiter, he allows you to wear his shoes through his writing. I have no doubt that his name will be in lights in the near future.

Dr. Charles, a family physician, has a fantastic science blog. I have always been fascinated by science, but an added plus is the fact that the man can write both gorgeous poetry and prose. He is also a published author. I discovered this blog when he posted on Williams syndrome and he was kind enough to send me an e-mail thanking me for my input.

My favorite true crime blog is by Steve Huff. I'm hugely into true crime stories but appreciate his ability to tell a story and the personal touches he gives each of them. He obviously puts a great deal of time into his posts.

Those are just five of my regular stops, although there are many more of you out there I love and admire who make me think in a new direction daily as well. We all have a lot to learn from each other, and I am hoping I can honor each and every one of you somehow in the future. Maybe I'll create my own award for you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Wow I barley have time for the neighborhood but funny I visit two of the blogs you mentioned every once in a while myself...Very cool Nancy way to go you blog is a thinker :) So proud to have you has a cyber neighbor...Guess this calls for a cyper happy hour too :)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Thanks for the great links. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read. Anything and everything. You are the only person I know who seems to enjoy it as much as I do. If only I could write as well as you.

Way to go, Nancy!

4:49 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I've not visited but one of these before, thanks for linking them for us. Good stuff!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Congratulations! I'll keep this post in mind for future reading.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow, thank you Nance, I totally appreciate your kind words and thoughts about my blog! I've always enjoyed your writing----you keep the reader interested. I don't know what these nominations are--because I'm technically and blogfully unaware of these things. But I appreciate what you did! I have to learn more about it! I'm a huge fan of Waiter myself. That blog is hysterical sometimes. You really get the inside scoop of it all!

Thank you! Enjoy your weekend!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you Nancy! You deserve the accolades for your brilliant writing. I think blogging and reading blogs is a true addiction. I honestly don't know how I get any work done between updating my blog and reading the many other blogs that I do. WAY TO GO!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home