Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Drive Through Giggles

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Drive Through Giggles

Yesterday was an amazing day. The sun was shining, and the mountains gleamed. The only time I put on a coat was early in the day when Erik and I ventured outside. I sat on the front porch to dry my hair in the sun and enjoyed my coffee while I blew sparkling bubbles for Erik.

After work, Brian and I decided that we would make a rare, admittedly naughty after-dinner run to Dairy Queen for Blizzards. The three of us piled into Brian's truck and enjoyed the orange glow of the sunset above the mountains on our drive. This extra hour of daylight means I no longer have to miss this beautiful sight while I sit in my office working.

The drive-through was clogged with cars filled with people with the same idea. We craned our necks to read the sign and decide what we would choose. Brian suddenly looked at me with a hint of panic in his eyes and announced, "My window doesn't roll down!" You see, it has been at least a year since Brian's window has operated correctly in his truck for some mysterious reason. It is quite obvious to me that men have a different set of priorities than women. I consider myself a completely sane, middle-of-the-road feminist, but it is pretty darn apparent to me that no matter how you slice it, men and women are entirely different in a thousand different ways, this one being a prime example. In the past year I have overheard him mumble something about borrowing some sort of special wrench from the neighbor, but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Understandably, he had much bigger fish to fry, and this little annoyance was soon forgotten. The last year has been a little difficult, to say the least.

Brian drives a double cab, four-door Dodge pickup truck. We purchased it after Erik was born because it seemed to be a safer family vehicle to drive than my tiny Toyota pickup ever was. To my complete amusement, when we pulled up in front of the drive-through speaker, Brian quickly reclined his seat so that the top of his head was just at the level of the window behind him. He then began confidently shouting his order from the region of the back seat. Erik looked down at his father, who was suddenly lying beside him, with a completely blank, slack-jawed expression. That did it. I burst into a uncontrollable giggle fit, which quickly spread to Brian, and he had to fight to contain himself long enough to get our order out. I was curious to see how he would pay for our order and retrieve our food. I was disappointed to see that he did not pay using that same method but drove a little past the window and simply opened his door. We drove home before our treats melted, and Erik was pleasantly surprised to find this bizarre oddysey yielded a little bowl of Oreo ice cream for him to savor.

There are many things in life that make it worth living. I have to say that, in my opinion, laughter is as close to heaven as we get at this point. Equally delicious is hearing my husband's rare giggles. I love that. At the risk of embarassing my very stoic, serious, professional, normally very dignified husband, which was certainly not my intention, I had to share this story.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun trip...YOu would be happy to know that it is a rare thing for Chris and I to make it anywhere without incident and it usually ends up in tears of laughter... People watching us must think we are all nuts...I can just picture Brian doing that and now i am cracking up LOL

DQ ROCKS!!!!!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I think it's usually the reactions from the kids that make the situation even funnier. Erik's probably like, "Uh, Dad... use your own window!" what a cute story!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, trips to Dairy Queen always give me the giggles as well! HAHA Great story, I can hear your giggles in my head and see Erik's face looking so confused while his daddy is shouting out an order. Very funny.

Note to self: must make a quick trip to DQ to celebrate Spring!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That is hysterical! You started laughing due to Erik’s expression towards Brian, and you both had a great laugh. I call those ‘giggles from God’. And, you know they just did a study that laughter makes you live much longer. GAWD only knows how they did this study, but I’m a believer! People who look at life negatively are the ones who suffer the most and live shorter. I swear, sometimes laughter gives me an anxiety attack, but it’s well worth it! Glad you had a great time at the Dairy Queen!

Enjoy your weekend Nance!

6:27 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

I loved this. I could visualize the entire thing, and that's all due to your wonderful writing.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

That's a great story. It mdae me laugh out loud! Those are the moments to cherish.

I love that you guys drive a pick-up truck as your family vehicle! Even one with a driver's window that doesn't roll down.

Blizzards... yummy....

11:05 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Humor is the best...and delicious to our spirits.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home