Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: I Love a Good Bar Graph

Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Love a Good Bar Graph

Most of my posts are simply gooey with emotion. I should install a napkin dispenser for my readers. I am learning not to apologize for being a very emotional, passionate person. That's just who I am. However, today I am going to attempt to venture in another direction.

I am married to a civil engineer who seems to find himself brimming with excitement at the sight of a pie chart or bar graft. In the seven years I have known Brian, I have never ceased giving him grief about his love of measurable data and the expression of such. However, today was the very first time I have been truly excited about a graph of any sort. Our Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) printout was completed for our review, and I received a copy of it today at Erik's home visit.

In just six months, Erik has demonstrated great improvement in the following categories. The test is based on the abilities of an average 3-year-old child, and Erik is just shy of being 2.

FINE MOTOR -- 29% improvement (to 74%)

GROSS MOTOR -- 35% improvement (to 82%)

ADAPTIVE -- 14% improvement (to 66%)

COGNITIVE -- 33% improvement (to 59%)

SOCIAL COMMUNICATION -- 29% improvement (to 57%)

SOCIAL -- 12% improvement (to 60%)

His fine and gross motor skills are looking much better, which is promising. As you can see, his scores were previously abysmal. He wasn't walking, talking, or doing much six months ago.

NEW TIDBITS: Erik said "socks" for the first time this week (right before he dropped them in the bathtub full of water). He can wave with great enthusiasm, much like he is standing on the confetti-covered deck of a cruise ship leaving port, and can say "SUBARU!" He tries to brush his own hair and can say "brush." He suddenly decided to walk across the living room with his eyes closed and his arms outstretched one time this week for no good reason, which made me laugh very hard. He played with a car during his therapy session today and didn't turn it over once to get to the wheels. He simply rolled it across the floor many times and looked like a perfectly typical 2-year-old kid. That is, he looked normal until he suddenly put his ear to the floor to see the car rolling from different angles. Bev explained these strange little behaviors of his as having an autistic flavor, as Williams falls into the autism spectrum disorder category. I find most of Erik's quirks completely weird but undeniably adorable. He wouldn't be Erik if he was any other way.

For everybody out there that is waiting in the middle of a Sahara desert-sized plateau with their kid for something new to happen, I hope you can see just how much can change in a matter of days, weeks, or months.

8 Comments:

Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

YA-HOOOO!

GOOOOOOOOOO ERIK!!!

ERIK'S BIGGEST FANS IN IDAHO!

BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL! :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Thank you for that. Because I do look at Clare and wonder sometimes if she is making progress. I know she is,but sometime it is nice to see it on paper.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Change with our kids doesn't happen overnight, it seems to come gradually and then one day you wake up and realize, wow, my child it doing incredible things that where unthinkable 3 months ago. We look for the big things, but it is the small things that matter. Acknowledge & celebrate those small leaps because they add up to giant jumps! Wow, Erik has really come into his own!! He sounds undeniably charming, sweet and funny. XOXO

5:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

He is so darn Cute I can not wait to meet him one of these day :)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What wonderful news! And don't forget to give yourself a big pat on the back for all YOUR efforts to help him achieve those goals. You two make a pretty darn good team!

Not trying to leave out Brian.... but this is YOUR blog. lol

7:53 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

I am sure you know I am one of those people. I haven't seen any changes in Daven for almost 3 months now. But like Amy said, once I really start thinking about it, I have seen many changes. I know someday soon my child will be able to do all those things I dream of. Loved the new post. Erik is such an inspiration for me!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, Erik! Congratulations to you all on the fantastic progress. You and Brian have made progress in your acceptance, too. :)

Are the percentages based on all kids? Confused about that...

Your words and feelings are so applicable to us, too-- I keep waiting and waiting for him to wave or say a word. I think every mother must feel the anxiety of being "behind." Just want you to know that you're not alone!
xoxo

8:05 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Great news!!!! I wish I could hear Erik speaking!!!!
I think Erik inspirates me not to give up when I notice that Szabi didn't do anything new in the last ... days, weeks or months! I remember when I first saw your blog and I falled in love with your little boy who resembled Szabi. At that time I had the feeling that Szabi never in this life would walk or run etc... And just see, Szabi is walking, Erik is talking :DDDDDDDD
Love, Kati

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home