Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Walkin' the Walk

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Walkin' the Walk

We survived day one without Grandma and Boppa. I took Erik to the medical center, and he walked from the Jeep all the way to the building and to both offices where I pick up work for the very first time. He walked on his toes the whole way, but the little guy made it! I think the sensation of walking out in the wide open blows his mind. He stares up into the sky a lot. There weren't many people in the waiting rooms, which was good, because he feels compelled to stop at every patient, most of whom are not feeling well. I saw an empty wheelchair inside the entrance to the building and winced, but he didn't seem to notice it and kept going (if he had, we would still be there). The boy is simply too heavy to carry very far anymore, especially while I'm trying not to wrinkle paperwork and drop tapes all over the ground. It is also hard to look professional lugging a toddler around, even though everybody loves him. My guess is that he is close to 25 pounds now. My left arm is going to look like it belongs on Popeye the Sailor Man soon if he doesn't start to carry his own weight. Sadly, if that happens, it will be necessary to get an anchor tattoo (I already eat the spinach). After the medical center, we headed for the grocery store. It was crowded, but it was good to get out of the house and forage for some food. Erik went into his shut down mode and was completely silent as I pushed him around the store for quite some time. He didn't even reach out for anything. I actually got right in his face to see if the lights were on in his noggin, and he didn't really respond. When I was fumbling with my purse in the checkout area, I felt his meaty little hand on my arm and looked down. He was smiling up at me like a complete angel. In fact, I began to suspect that he was working me just a little bit. I think he wanted to go home. I overheard a woman telling the checker at the next cash register that her little boy was 21 months, and I craned my neck to see this child (again with the self-torture). He was animated, smiling, and playing with everything around him, of course. I looked down at Erik and realized what a dream he is to take anywhere. He then smiled at me again. I just love the secret language we seem to have with each other.

God Sent to Me an Angel
by Paul Dammon

God sent to me an angel,
it had a broken wing.
I bent my head and wondered
"How could He do such a thing?"

When I asked the Father
why He sent this child to me,
the answer was forthcoming,
He said "Listen and you'll see."

My children are all precious,
and none is like the rest.
Each one to me is special,
and the least is as the best.

I sent each one from heaven
and I place it in the care
of those who know my mercy,
those with love to spare.

Sometimes I take them back again.
Sometimes I let them stay.
No matter what may happen
I am never far away.

So if you find your angel
and you don't know what to do,
remember, I am with you,
love is all I ask of you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I love the poem I am a sucker for a beautiful poem ;)
I remember when I just could not carry Emma anymore she was about Eriks size and age.
I think that in the pictures that I have seen Erik looks every bit his age. Maybe our kids are not as anamated as other kids there age but honestly I would rather food shop with the quieter ones.
Leaves more to the imangination....
Emma just turned 3 in June and weighs 32lbs at 2 she was 28lbs she has recently just grown taller but was a shortie for the longest time. Em is 3 not pottey trained, hopefully by highschool:) not so chubby and for the longest time she was the biggest toe walker. So it is not all the WS I think alot of it is toddler syndrome :) unless I am just a crappy Mom what could be the case too:)

Erik is so blessed to have you and vice versa...I bet he was teh cuties baby in the store :)

Love you lots, Lisa

12:36 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Now I too have suddenly burst into tears. Just as our secret language with our sons, I believe you and I have a secret language. I can’t thank you enough for that. It seems as if every word you write, I feel so deeply inside myself that I feel like we have been BFF’s for so long now. You seem to know everything about me in and out.

Thank you my friend! We need to swap phone numbers and really get to talking. Then who knows, maybe I will have to head to Oregon someday soon. Those boys would absolutely love each other. They could sit and play with spinners and wheels until their little hearts were content!

Thanks for writing!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

As I carry Brady still in his infant car seat, my arm starts to ache... how amazing these kids are getting bigger! I love how you and Erik have your own secret "thang". I can picture your grocery trip in my mind and see what a great bond the two of you have.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Nancy, what a beutiful writing! I love the chance of the secret language....Szabi gets in shut down mode, too, mainly when there are a lot of people around him (it is a little bit contradictory to ws :)))
25 pounds!!!!! Hmmmm, so heavy!!!! Szabi is about 24,3 pounds but I feel he'd be twice as this! He loves to be carried... :(
Bye, Kati

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home