Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Skooby Talk

Friday, July 21, 2006

Skooby Talk

Recent conversation between Nancy and Erik --

Nancy (holding up hair brush): Erik, what's this?

Erik: Shoe.

Nancy: No, it's a brush. Can you say brush?

Erik: Brush.

Nancy: YAY! Good job, Erik! Can you say that again for mama?

Erik: Shoe.

At dining room table last night --

Nancy (singing alphabet song): Now I know my ABCs! Next time won't you sing with --

Erik: MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

(sound of Nancy and Brian fainting and hitting the floor)

It is impossible to adequately describe how Erik's vocabulary and verbal skills have exploded in just the last one to two weeks. He will now press his palm to yours up in the air and say, "high five!" He has started calling his grandfather "Boppa." He sings fuzzy but completely audible segments of the alphabet song as we sing it (last night was "T-U-V"). He is running up to every small appliance, light fixture, and candle and telling me to turn them "ON!" I am absolutely flabbergasted at the rate of speed he is honing his language. It is quite obvious he can memorize anything. There are so many words that made the cut this week that I can't list them all. It is wonderful to be able to better communicate with my son. Maybe he will be potty trained by age 4 after all! His sense of humor is sharpening, too. There is nothing like leaning down into my baby's crib to whisper "Husssssh" and getting a slowly widening smile and tiny "Hussssh" back from him before he looks up at me seemingly very lovingly, pauses, and then bursts out laughing. It's good to see he takes his mother seriously.

Yesterday was a group therapy day for Erik at his little school. I was determined to fight the blues on my drive home this time, but it hit me like a truck anyway despite my best efforts. I will not write about that today. What I will say is that in the process of feeling horribly depressed, I got the most wonderful e-mails from my on line support group, family, and friends just when I needed them most. By the end of the afternoon, I was laughing out loud (and doing the infamous Nancy snort) alone in my office. My prayers were answered yesterday in a big way. It was the first time I had a group therapy day turn around like that so far. I am hopeful I will have more days like that.

I offer a heartfelt apology to Dawnita, my wonderful sister-in-law, who yesterday informed me that there is no "jerk seasoning" on grocery store shelves anywhere in Idaho (see previous taco recipe). Apparently, unearthing the Holy Grail is much more likely than finding McCormick gourmet seasoning in that part of the country. I was under the impression the days of sailors bringing spices to America around the horn of Africa were over, but this is apparently not the case in Idaho. Let me know if you don't find it, and I'll send you some! Thanks for making me smile, girl!

More good news: This week Erik's urine calcium came back NORMAL (Note to self: Enthusiastically screaming "YAY!" like a winner on the Price is Right in response to test results is highly alarming to medical staff).


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, I was reading this last writing with smile on my face!!!! I'm so happy that Erik is TALKING!!!! And I am so jaunduced to you :))))))))))) Szabi is so worldless nowadays, I hope his verbal skills will be exploded just like Erik's !!!!
Have a nice afternoon with full of conversations like these!!!
Bye, Kati

6:35 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

What a fabulous week you are having! Now you do know the big problem with the children learning to talk... they talk back! Or they say things in public (loudly) that make you melt into the floor, like, "Mommy! Look at how fat that man is!" or "I don't WANT him to play over at my house." (in front of the other child, nonetheless)

Have fun!!! They have such cute voices now.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

Oh I am so happy for you and Erik! What a joy it must be to hear words come out of that little tiny mouth, I know you must have been waiting for them for so long.

It brings joy to my heart to hear this great news.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and Erik! Great Job Erik! I have been out of town for work the past week so I haven't gotten a chance to read your blog. It is incredible as usual. You are such an articulate writer...I love it. Here's to many more milestones that are to come!
susan

9:30 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

HI-HO THERE MATES!! "SAILOR TALK" HA! THE BOYS AND I SAILED THE SEVEN SEAS HUNTING FOR "JERK SEASONING" LIKE IT WAS BURIED TREASURE TODAY IN 104 DEGREE WEATHER! WE DOCKED OUR SHIP TODAY WITH NO JERK SEASONING IN OUR PACK, I WOULD OF WENT ON BUT MY TWO SHIP MATES WERE VERY TIRED AND BORED WITH OUR VOYAGE AND ESPECIALLY WITH THEIR CAPTAIN. BACK IN THE DAY,I THINK THE SAILORS WERE TO DRUNK TO SPREAD THE WEALTH OF GOOD SEASONINGS TO THIS PART OF OUR GREAT COUNTRY! BUT YOU KNOW ME...JUST LIKE THEM A&W ROOT BEER BARRELS FOR YOUR BABY SHOWER... I SEARCH AND CONQUER EVENTUALLY! BRAD IS DYING TO TRY THESE NEW "NANCY" TACOS. OKAY... ENOUGH ABOUT OUR VOYAGE TODAY...

YAAAAAAAAAAA-HOOOOOOOOO ERIK! WHAT EXCITING TIMES NANCE... ALL THESE GREAT & WONDERFUL CHANGES GOING ON WITH ERIK. AND NOW HE IS JUST A CHATTIN! I BET ALL THESE PRECIOUS MOMENTS JUST MELT YOUR HEART!! WE CELEBRATE WITH BRIAN AND YOU! THE LORD WAS REALLY WATCHING OUT FOR ERIK... HE GAVE ERIK A DADDY NAMED BRIAN AND A MOMMY NAMED NANCY!! BRAD & I ADMIRE YOU TWO... YOU ARE BOTH WONDERFUL PARENTS!!

BIG HUGS!!!
DAWNITA

3:55 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

Way to go, Erik! How exciting for you and Brian, Nancy! Keep the words coming!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is AWESOME Nancy :) Way to go Erick!!!! I bet his little voice is just so cute.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

HA HA it would be nice if I could spell Erik....sorry it was a long weekend with the girls :)

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home