Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Sorting Things Out

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sorting Things Out



Erik emptied the silverware basket in the dishwasher the other day. Unfortunately, the dishes were filthy. He put each and every piece of grimy flatware and crusty cooking utensils in one top drawer of the kitchen island. I think I successfully extracted them all from the rather busy drawer, but, admittedly, this has added an exciting twist to cooking, as I have no idea whether the item I pull from that drawer will be coated with old peanut butter or not.

Last week I also caught Erik loading the new washing machine, for which he has developed a borderline new obsession. When I turn the thing on, he retrieves his favorite blanket and Stinky Dog and sits in front of it to watch it work, giving me 45 minutes of peace and quiet to work out or drink coffee. When I discovered him in the middle of loading the machine that day, I attempted to remain serious, but seeing him stooped over to hastily cram clothing and a collection of nearby shoes into the thing killed me. The horrified look on his face as I rounded the corner was priceless. I stifled a giggle and began to explain the art of laundry sorting. Surprisingly, the kid seemed to at least begin to understand.

New sentences --

"I am looking for some cars."

"Give me a high five, please!"

"Mommy, do you have to work?"

"Gracie, go upstairs NOW!"

"I need to go outside."

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Tes said...

they are too funny. Lila likes to say, "i spanka you butt" and she is very serious. yikes.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I love it!! I swear he is too cute :) His "I need....." reminds me so much of Payton. It's never "I want....", it's "I NEED" :) Give my little guy a hug for me!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy chatting with you on the phone! Thanks for the call and have fun tonight with Kathy watching all the new episodes... I will be watching Grey's Anatomy!

Love all this new stuff going on with Erik! He is such a riot!!! You are going to laugh when you see what Brogan got him for his birthday... I think it is suiting for what he is liking to do right now, he loved Brogan's.

I am soooooooooo anxious to see Erik soon! It will be fun to have all the boys together again!!

I miss you terribly girl!
Dawnita~

5:58 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

His speech sounds like it is really taking off. Don't feel so bad about the dishes. Noah stuck his entire face into the cats water dish today and his response, "cold", mine, "yeah and really yucky too."

8:30 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Erik never ceases to amaze me! I find it so difficult to get angry with Emerson when she is doing something naughty, because I'm relishing the fact that it is a new skill, naughty or not. :)

Have a great weekend.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Abi's favorite job is putting away silverware and putting laundry in the washer. She helps me with that and washing dishes. Funny how those are the things they like to do.
Always an adventure in the kitchen, not knowing for sure if the dishes are clean or dirty. Abi tries to do the same thing :). Usually I catch her....I think!

Noel

6:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

OMG, I see this in Avery, the look when they get "caught", the desire to help and be helpful, and the fascination with household appliances. Sigh, the more they learn, the more we have to clean up! lol.
xoxo
Amy

9:12 AM  
Blogger Aspen said...

HAHAHA! That is great. Daven does the same thing in front of our dryer. He could sit there for hours and watch it go round and round. Which would be fine with me, but he also has an obsession with punching the buttons on and off. That's the part that drives me crazy.

Love the new sentences.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Ha! I cna just picture the look of "uh oh" on his face :) SO cool that you know what he needs from you now~ and he's not to shy to tell you LOL

3:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a beautiful picture!!

Well, if you look on the positive side, he's trying to help you out.
Michaela LOVES to 'help'.

3:53 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

My kids are 17 and 19, and I STILL catch them putting up dirty dishes with the clean, still I'm proud that he's trying!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home