Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Beachy Keen

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Beachy Keen

Look at the gut on my kid! Yesterday was a lovely day. I decided to fill up Erik's little wading pool for the first time. I placed it on the front porch because I like to keep the sun off his skin as much as possible (vitamin D/calcium issue). Looking up while I was sitting out there with the hose, I saw the familiar honeycomb of a wasps' nest above me with four evil-looking tenants clinging to it. I asked Brian to annihilate them, but we were fresh out of wasp spray. I got my workout clothes on and headed to the store to buy some, and then I drove over to the butte for a morning workout. On the trail I met all sorts of people in various stages of personal torture, most of which were uncharacteristically friendly for this region and actually said hello. There are always a couple doughier tourist-types (I call them cone-lickers) who look like they are going to require CPR momentarily and ask me how far it is to the top. When I reached the summit, I enjoyed the view briefly before descending again. There was not one cloud in the sky, and the mountains were still dappled with gleaming patches of snow. Gorgeous. I made my way back down to the Jeep wearing a thin sheen of well-earned sweat and headed back home. A friend of mine came over to visit, and we caught up on the world and the topic of having babies. She is three months pregnant and doing great. I delayed Erik's nap so she could get to know him, since the last time she saw him he was quite small and swaddled motionless on my lap. Erik entertained us both and charmed her thoroughly with his smiles. After she left and Erik completed his afternoon nap, I got him into his swimming trunks, and we headed out to the porch to try out the pool. Erik absolutely loved it. It was a bit too chilly to sit down in it (his eyes got as big as saucers when we tried), despite the addition of some hot water, but he enjoyed splashing in it and keeping cool in the stagnant, 85-degree afternoon air. A new skill he mastered playing was plunging a cup into the water and then bringing it up to dump out. It seems so simple, yet I have not been successful in teaching him this in the bathtub. He gets it now! He chattered constantly while we relaxed and played. Brian got home from work, and Erik's face turned completely scarlet with sobbing when we decided to go back in the house. I fixed the to-die-for shrimp tacos we are now addicted to, and we had a nice dinner together (Erik ate Gerber spaghetti from a jar). Erik went down for the evening without the waking up screaming thing, and we all slept well. At least I slept well until 5:22 a.m., when Gracie kitty decided I had slept enough and started screaming at me to get up and turn the faucet on in the bathtub for her (sigh).

In other news, Brian and my mom have been working with Erik on counting to three. The first time he did it was Friday night. I was in my office working when Brian and Erik came up to see me, and Brian matter of factly informed me that our son could count. After seeing the look of disbelief on my face, Brian and Erik demonstrated it for me. Brian said, "ONE," and I heard a tiny "TWO" clear as day. I only looked more confused and thought Brian had learned to throw his voice. Amazing. It was so dang adorable. He can also say "three," but it's a little fuzzier. Color me impressed.

Beach Shack Shrimp Tacos

8 tortillas (soft taco size)
24 peeled raw jumbo shrimp (about 1 lb)
1 Tbsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
2 cups thinly shredded green cabbage
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
1/4 cup each sliced red onion and chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp rice-wine vinegar

Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium heat. Add tortillas in a single layer 2 or 3 at a time and cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes, or until light golden in spots and softened. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep tortillas warm and pliable.

Sprinkle shrimp with jerk seasoning. Coat same skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium heat. Add shrimp; saute 3 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate.

Toss remaining taco ingredients in a bowl until blended.

Top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup cabbage mixture and 3 shrimp. Fold in half to eat.

2 Comments:

Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

HOW FUN!!! BRAYDEN & BROGAN WANT TO COME FOR A SWIM TODAY... NOT TOMORROW OR ANOTHER DAY BUT TODAY!! BRAYDEN JUST ASKED & SAID... WOW MOM, ERIK CAN PLAY IN A POOL NOW? HE IS NOT A BABY ANYMORE... HE IS BECOMING A BIG BOY JUST LIKE BROGAN! I MISS HIM! :)

WE ALL HAVE BEEN OOOHING AND AAAHING OVER ERIK'S MOST CURRENT PHOTO SHOOT OF HIM AT HIS POOL AND JUST CAN'T GET OVER HOW MUCH HE IS CHANGING FROM A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO WHEN WE SAW HIM LAST! GOOOOO ERIK AND WE ARE CHEERING FOR YOU!!

OH NANCE...YUMMY! ANOTHER TO DIE FOR RECIPE FROM YOU! I NEED TO PUT MY COLLECTION OF RECIPES I HAVE GOTTEN FROM YOU AND PUT THEM IN A BOOK AND TITLE IT "RECIPES FROM NANCE'S KITCHEN" LIKE THE ENCHILADA'S "BRAD'S FAVS" AND THEM YUMMY FOURTH OF JULY LEMONADES AND NOW BEACH SHACK SHRIMP TACOS!!!

ONE DAY I WILL BE BROUSING A LOCAL BARNES-N-NOBLE AND I WILL SEE A COOKBOOK WITH YOUR PHOTO ON IT WITH ALL YOUR YUMMY RECIPES, BUT WHAT I REALLY BELIEVE IS THAT ONE DAY I WILL SEE A BEAUTIFUL BOOK DEDICATED TO ERIK FULL OF YOUR JOURNAL ENTRIES AND SOME VITAL INFORMATION FOR OTHER PARENTS THAT HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TOLD OF THEIR CHILD'S DIAGNOSIS...WILLIAMS! YOU ARE ONE AMAZING WRITER AND I KNOW THAT THIS IS THERAPY FOR YOU BUT I KNOW THAT YOU SHARING ALL YOUR JOURNALING OUT THERE IN THE "BLOG" WORLD IS HELPING SO MANY PARENTS AND THEIR BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN!

THANKS NANCE FOR BEING YOU...

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy!
First off...adorable pictures of Erik. I am always fond of the bathtub/swimming pool pictures. I love his little belly!
Second...awesome recipe. I love to try new things and this sounds wonderful.
Third...I was wondering if you have a copy of the 60 minutes specials?? I do and if you would like I would be more than happy to mail them to you to watch. I found them quite heart breaking the first time I watched them...then I took a little respite and watched them again and found them inspiring. Just let me know.
Have a great day!
Susan
mom to Jaxson-3 (Williams
srohde@eidebailly.com

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home