Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: Connections and Growth

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Connections and Growth

Big news! We are looking forward to spending time this weekend with another WS family from the valley. Brandon is almost precisely the same age as Erik (they are merely two weeks apart). I spoke to Tina, Brandon's mother, on the phone once and met her at Sophie's Run this year but have a lot of catching up/getting to know her family to do. Seeing Erik and Brandon together is a gigantic deal for me, as Brandon is the first and only boy with WS I have ever met. As much I as try not to immerse myself in this diagnosis 24 hours a day, it affects a lot of what we do and what occurs in this home, so sitting next to another parent in the same boat makes things feel so...well, normal!

Bev arrived today for her second to last home visit with Erik. We are then forever finished with home visits through early intervention. She is transitioning into retirement at the end of the summer and apologized for being unavailable since the end of May. She has not been out to the house since then, although we have seen her at school. Needless to say, she was completely blown away by Erik's progress in the last couple of months. He showcased his wonderful sense of humor and even attempted to sing some songs. He happily cuddled and wrestled with her. He very generously offered her kisses from his favorite stuffed animal, Stinky Dog, whom I fear is actually beginning to decompose despite repeated washings. She grimaced and politely declined. He simply poured on the charm. She brought a toy shaped like a plastic microphone that you can speak into and hear your voice reverberate. Erik sang into it and did a series of very lengthy, random monologues on various topics, much to our delight.

As she gathered her toys and greeted my parents, who came to pick Erik up so I could work, she honestly seemed a little sad. She then said something that made my heart swell with a thousand emotions at once.

"Erik doesn't need me anymore."


It's finally happening.

I never thought I would see the day when the severely delayed, sluggishly passive infant I wheeled into her facility would actually thrive.

He's growing up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Growing up. That he is Nancy,
and what a beautiful boy he is too!
xxoo

10:03 PM  
Blogger Aspen said...

What a great story. He is just a big boy now Mom! You must be swelling up with pride.

8:15 AM  
Blogger THE PASLAY'S OF IDAHO said...

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME WITH BRANDON AND HIS PARENTS! TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS AND TELL US ALL ABOUT YOUR VISIT! :) I BET BRANDON AND ERIK WILL HAVE A BLAST TOGETHER! WHAT FUN!!!

GIVE THAT BIG BOY A BIG HUG FROM HIS AUNTIE!

xoxoxo

9:24 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I totally got a chill up my spine. I feel incredibly proud of Erik!! Way to go!

I can't wait to hear all about the meeting with Brandon. How nice for all of you.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Teresa and Shawn said...

I hope you enjoy your visit with Brandon and his mom. It was great having Kerry and Brady up, but it was also kind of weird seeing Clare and Brady together! I am so used to Clare being the "different" one, that it was almost surreal to see her with one of her WS siblings. But absolutely wonderful, too!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

I'm cheering for him in heart! Blessings to you Nancy for having the courage to take every step that led you to here! {{{Hugs}}}

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home