Erik Quinn: The Heart of a Family: There's My Cute Little Guy

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

There's My Cute Little Guy

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing. -- Phyllis Diller

I knew today would be better.

Erik and I pulled our crabby selves together early today to prepare for group. Well, actually, only one of us was crabby. As I looked at my breakfast-coated, crack house kitchen, I realized that we had the week off from therapy for the holiday (insert forehead slap here). I decided that since we were dressed and looking painfully irresistible, we would hit the grocery store at 8:30 a.m. and pick up everything we needed for Thanksgiving as well as some spur-of-the-moment cookie baking. When we arrived, the store shelves were being stocked as we shopped but picked clean faster than the workers could put out new items. I know from experience that this grocery store runs out of everything as we approach each holiday, and I have found myself without necessities such as eggs in years past. Not this year! I was very happy to find almost everything. The only item MIA was crushed pineapple. We will have to run tidbits through the food processor for my cranberry salad. Of course, I will do that in the garage, far away from tiny, sensitive ears. As I shopped, my mood lifted. Erik greeted every stocker, shopper, and checker. An elderly couple walked past us at one point and actually began giggling like kids when Erik greeted them with a deep "HI" and surprised them. I strode down the aisles grinning like a crazy woman. I couldn't help it. When our cart was almost too heavy to push and was groaning under a load of holiday goodies, we were finally finished. It was wonderful not having to hurry. I stood in a blissfully short line and overheard the checker say, "There's my cute little guy." I realized that she was talking about Erik with the other customers. As we loaded up my shopping bags, she told me that he was perfect and that he would simply be who he was meant to be. In fact, she mentioned twice how perfect he was. What a strange but wonderful thing to say, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

FUNNY STORY: Last night the phone rang. When I picked it up and said hello, I heard a male voice ask, "What's going on over there!?" It was Rob, Lisa's husband, from next door. He said he had his Morse code book out and was trying to decipher the signals coming from our dining room window. After being thoroughly confused for a moment, I realized Erik had climbed up to his perch on the back of the love seat and was flipping the light switch on and off Studio 54 style. At first, this constant flickering of light was enough to send me into an epileptic fit, but I'm so used to it now that I don't even notice. Rob thought we were in some sort of distress, on the floor with broken hips or captive in some sort of horrible home invasion. When I told him it was only Erik practicing his skills, he laughed and sounded relieved. We all take care of each other out here.

Tonight we attend a dinner and silent auction at the country club to benefit the Oregon State University sports program. It may be snowing, but I am bound and determined to put on a skirt and completely impractical heels for the first time in months. The idea did not appeal to me when Brian reminded me of it at 6:00 a.m. and I was wearing a towel on my head, moisturizer, and a coffee-stained bathrobe, but now that I think about it, I'm up for it!

Gobble, gobble.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aspen said...

I just love your "funny stories." I catch myself giggling and reliving the moment in my head with every story. Then I proceed to tell everyone I know your perfectly told funny story. Ah, that's only one of the many reasons I love you. Have a great time tonight! Throw on your stilettos and enjoy your evening!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Funny how those grocery clerks, customers and passer-byers always know when to say the right thing :) Of COURSE he's a cute little guy!

How funny about the flickering lights... you know, maybe Erik IS trying to say something. Maybe you should start pying attention to that! :)
haha
Happy Turkey Day!
Love -K

3:07 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm so happy that you had a better day and that Erik is feeling better. I have been thinking about you. Sometimes little pick-me-ups come from the most unexpected places. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to comment it was pretty long then I do not know what happened maybe you got it...UGGG I hate the upgraded Beta bloger don't do it

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home